Monday, December 3, 2007

In the "Things That Aren't Suprising To Anyone Category", Here's Another One:

Scott Hall no showed TNA's Pay-Per-View last night. I'm sure I wasn't alone in my initial reaction when reading the results of "so what else is new," followed by a wave of indifference and mild happiness that Eric Young got to main event (although you can ask Chris Harris how that kind of spot leads to a serious push). And then I read this, and remembered that this kept Nash out of a main event years ago in TNA, and remained sort of indifferent, but thought "well, at least he didn't just wander in to a bar or get stuck on a Spider-Man rollercoaster or something."

And then I read this. That's all kinds of interesting, and not just for the awesome typo of "foot poisoning" from Aaron Glazer, but because this shoot interview may have actually been a shoot, in the sense that it really did piss off Nash and Dixie Carter.

Mind you, between the fact that this came from a dirt sheet and is at this point third hand gossip, and the fact that Russo so overused the idea of shoots during his WCW run that it became a running joke between a friend of mine that endures to this day, despite the fact that he no longer watches wrestling unless I drag him to a PPV; it sort of sounds like it could all be bullshit, is what I'm trying to say, although it has a ring of truth, especially since Nash apparently pushed to get Joe in to TNA in the first place.

That said, it's nice to see something of genuine interest out of a TNA PPV besides Kurt Angle winning so many belts you worry he'll further cripple himself carrying them around, all in his attempt to become the new Jeff Jarrett. Too bad its not from the actual matches, but instead Scott Hall being Scott Hall. Seriously, even for TNA, this was an extremely underwhelming card, which is pretty hard to reconcile with how much I've enjoyed the 2 hour shows. It should be interesting to see how this all plays out; apparently Low-Ki is on his way out, all though that is:

a) Not surprising, since the dirt sheets have been saying he's wanted a release for awhile now.
b) Given how little he's done since he came back, for whatever reason, I wouldn't really miss him; he's more or less a jobber at this point, so they might as well just let him go back to Japan or ROH (if he's welcome). I enjoy the guy's work, but I think it was telling that he and Skipper were standing in the background of Daniels' promo a couple weeks ago.

Glazer made the parallel between what Ki did here and what Raven did during the beginning of the end in WCW in '99; we'll see if the morale level is comporable. I've never wanted to be the guy who compares TNA to WCW, but it's hard to avoid it sometimes.

Having now seen the promo via Glazer's youtube link, I'm not convinced it was a shoot; it was very good, mind you, but it reminded me a lot of Russo's speech at Bash at the Beach 2000, and I have a hard time believing they'd let him go on like that, especially after the "fire me, I don't care" bit. Not that my disbelief means it didn't actually happen, but I'm expecting this to lead to another of Russo's beloved shoot angles. Once again, we'll have to see.

No comments: