Saturday, October 6, 2007

No Mercy for a really boring Smackdown!

This episode almost put me to sleep. Well, that's not entirely true; I was already dog tired, and this episode just kind of compounded it. We did get a longer than usual cruiserweight match between Yang and Noble, which was cool, even if it did evoke the kind of crowd apathy that makes me think that retiring the title might not be a bad idea after all; at least until they need something for Teddy Hart to wear, that is. Provided the New Hart Foundation shows up on Smackdown and Teddy doesn't get fired immediately. Both things are possible.

There was also a Deuce and Domino/MVP 2.0 tag title match that was-- long. Not very good, but it certainly filled up time! I dunno, maybe it was me, but making MVP the face in peril seemed like a dumb idea, and I was half asleep through most of the show. That match with Kanertaker next week should be fun, and even if the Greasers run in, hopefully they'll get splattered by the old, tall guys with supernatural powers. That would amuse me to no end.

The Mysterio/Khali match was not as bad as I thought it would be, though, so thank goodness for small miracles. Although the modern miracle that is Tivo helped alot there as well, as I sped through all the nerve holdery that Punjabi's favorite son is so proficient in. But any match where Rey does the ringpost 619 is okay in my book. As long as I don't have to sit through the dull parts, that is. I really feel like I could clip matches for the WWE at this point, though, having been fastforwarding through all their shows for the last 2 years to get to the good bits.

Some weeks have more of those than others, but this wasn't one of those weeks, and the future; not looking so bright these days. I mean, Chuck Palumbo vs. Chris Masters is an actual feud they're building up? That people are supposed to watch? I like Palumbo all right; he's always been a solid big man, and although his current gimmick seems to be overcompenasting a bit for his years as Billy Gunn's gay lover, I don't mind him getting a big push and a blonde to ride around on his motorcycle. And isn't it nice that the woman who had like 2 months of promos about how much she enjoyed living has found love with the man who had 2 months of promos about how much he enjoys motorcycles? I'm getting kind of choked up just thinking about it.

However, given all the steroid problems, don't you think they ought to just cut their losses and move on with Masters? Now that someone's broken his deadly full nelson (try to type that with a straight face; I dare you), he's pretty much outlived his usefulness. He had an okay match with Kane awhile back, but I can count on one hand the number of times I've ever sat through anything he's been in, and aesthetically, he looks like just another guy now that he's had to cut back on the juice, so the whole Masterpiece thing doesn't really wash anymore, either. Something tells me Vince or Dusty has a chubby for the guy, but still; they've given up on guys who had "the look" of a future star a lot quicker than they have with him, and when it was someone like Matt Morgan or Brent Albright, it was also a guy who was already more polished in the ring than Masters is. But then again, I just devoted two paragraphs to his new feud, so I guess the joke's on me.

This week also saw the debut of the new, Of Mouse and Men inspired tag team of Jesse and Festus. The smaller one seemed to actually be pretty good in the ring, and they have a cute dynamic, but I will eat a hat (as long as it's made of steak or gummy worms) if they don't wind up exactly like every other wacky tag team to debut in the last few years; not over and jobbing within a year. Although Crime Time seemed to finally be turning the corner before they committed career suicide at a house show, so who knows? I am kind of hoping that these guys, the Greasers, and the Highlanders are all in some kind of match in the near future, just because I think we really need something that combines elements of Deliverance, Highlander, and Grease. It could save the business! From what, I don't know; I just work here. For nothing.

So, anyway, there's a PPV on, one I am actually planning on watching live, so I'll do a preview of that. Right about now, actually. But in another post. So this last paragraph won't actually transition in to that, because that post will be over this one. Aw, the hell with it.

No comments: