Wednesday, September 19, 2007

ECW! ECW! ECW! Sucked.

Okay, that's not entirely fair. The four way was fun, and even if they're taking their booking ideas from old Smackdown! games, I like that they're setting up the match at No Mercy with something a little different than the series of rematches we've had since the Morrison/Punk feud started. Punk's interaction with Burke was funny (although his lack of appearence in an actual match was disappointing). And I may be the only one, but I was happy to see Extreme Expose dance again, even if they still have to "protect" the rythmically challenged Kelly out there by having her do cartwheels while the other two girls actually dance. I am also amused that they've set up Layla and Brooke turning heel on her, for some reason. Probably because "Extreme Expose EXPLODES" is so utterly absurd that it appeals to my sense of humor immensely.

That said, Balls Mahoney vs. Mike Knox and the Boogeyman vs. and Viscera were the reason that fast forward was invented. It is particularly sobering to realize we live in a world where Boogeyman vs. Viscera is a main event on a nationally televised wrestling show, while Brian Danielson is still wrestling in high school gyms. (Okay, he's on PPV, too, but I don't fucking get to watch it.)

Random, less depressing, observations about the four way:

I was impressed that Tommy Dreamer changed up his look a little with the bandanna, until it fell off and I noticed his bald spot. Come on, Tommy; male pattern baldness is hardcore!

Tommy saying he was THE ECW Original was funny, because he literally is the only one left, at least of the guys that they pushed under that moniker.

With Angle down in Florida and Benoit persona non grata, the triple germans are now attributed to-- Karl Gotch? It was kind of unsettling seeing Burke pull them out at first, but that call by Joey Styles made it weirder. I mean, I'm no expert, but did Karl Gotch throw a lot of triple germans on Lou Thesz?

I liked the psychology of not wanting to be pinned being the main motivation in the match, which explained why Thorn would help Burke win. Also, is it just me, or is Thorn shockingly good on the mic? I still think they should find another slutty goth chick to be his valet (since I'm guessing Shelly Martinez/Ariel probably won't be invited back), or hook him up with a James Mitchell-esque manager, but maybe he doesn't need one after all.

I was kind of disappointed that Stevie was the first guy out, but I'm guessing he's in a "just happy to be there" mood, since he's barely even rated jobber status before getting this push by default.

Has there been any news on where Cor Von is, beyond vague mutterings about him having family problems? This show is in desperate need of some pouncings.

Hopefully next week I'll be able to watch the whole show, but a good match is a good match, so I'll call it a wash. Coming up later, I'll talk about a couple of matches I watched on DVD recently.

2 comments:

Jack Potts said...

Hey Brad,

I read about your wrestling blog on Comics Should Be Good! and decided to stop by.

Good stuff.

Regarding Cor Von, I read yesterday that he was released by WWE. WWE should have the announcement up on their site. I think he was neutered a bit a) by the name change; b) by the silent enforcer gimmick that really muted his natural charisma; and c) by the long delay in calling his finisher "THE POOOUUUNNCCE!" by its given name. The Pounce was a fantastic finisher that looked like a Jack Kirby panel come to life, with bodies flying in every direction.

Bogeyman is getting better, but he's still green and he isn't getting any younger. The guy does a great job with the gimmick, and if he had half of Shelton Benjamin's in-ring talent he'd be headlining pay-per-views every month.

Keep up the good work.

Brad Lee said...

Good to see my shameless shilling at CBSG paid off.